Cultivating healthy minds, bodies & spirits.
USA Taekwondo is the national governing body of Taekwondo for the United States Olympic Committee and thus an official member of World Taekwondo. Taekwondo Wellness is a local member of USA Taekwondo that is committed to promoting healthy, active, and joyful lives among youth, adults, and families through training in traditional Taekwondo.
World Taekwondo (WT) is the international federation governing body for the sport of Taekwondo and it reports that a total of 188 member nations are part of this federation. WT oversees the rules of the sport, which include sparring, poomsae, and board breaking.
Kukkiwon is the World Taekwondo Headquarters for instructor education and dan certification. Kukkiwon sets black belt promotion test regulations and dan certificates are recognized internationally & required for Olympic competition.
Taekwondo is a martial art that has been developing throughout the 2000-year long history of Korea (WT, 2008). Early in its history, Taekwondo was primarily a defense martial art, training body and mind, but later became an intricate part of producing leaders in Korea’s ancient kingdoms (WT, 2008). Today, Taekwondo has spread to nearly every country in the world and has become a recognized Olympic sport. Taekwondo was an Demonstration Sport in the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games & 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games. Taekwondo became an official Olympic Sport in the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.
Taekwondo Wellness Overview:
We currently offer Taekwondo Wellness group classes and private psychotherapy sessions. Both programs provide instruction in traditional Taekwondo with a focus on mind-body connection, achieving a healthy balance in life, physical fitness, and relaxation through meditation. Taekwondo Wellness is not just an extracurricular activity or sport, but a wellness and exercise class with the goal of improving mental, physical, social, and emotional health as well as improving your quality of life.
What sets Taekwondo Wellness apart from your typical Taekwondo school? We incorporate three distinct services into our classes that are aimed at helping youth, adults and their families improve their mental health and family and peer dynamics.
- The first key component is psycho-education, which is teaching psychological hygiene, coping skills, and social skills.
- The second key component is parent coaching which offers modeling and guidance to support families, improving their communication and interactions with their kids and others.
- Mindfulness meditation is the third key component, which is incorporated into each session to take advantage of its many benefits such as improved attention span, pain relief, improved self esteem, and decrease in anxiety and depression to name a few.
In addition our classes:
- Are smaller in size (15-20 students max).
- Do not teach weapons.
- Teach sparring beginning at green belt level once student has demonstrated self control.
- All classes are taught by Dr. Torres, Clinical Psychologist and Executive Director of Intuition Wellness Center.
- Courtesy: Behavior that demonstrates consideration, cooperation, respect, and generosity towards others and self.
- Perseverance: Determination, patience, steadfastness, persisting in spite of difficulties.
- Indomitable Spirit: Unconquerable courage, a ‘yes, I can’ attitude, and facing one’s fears.
- Self-Control: Exercising restraint over one’s impulses and self-discipline.
- Integrity: Honesty towards self and others, trustworthiness, and incorruptibility.
Taekwondo Wellness Core Curriculum
- Taekwondo Philosophy: Students will learn about the core Taekwondo principles and how yin jang concepts of Taoism can be applied to our daily lives to reach a state of harmony.
- Poomsae: Students will learn and practice a set pattern of defensive and offensive techniques as a means of improving power, speed, and balance while striving for self refinement.
- One Step & Self Defense: Students will learn to apply Taekwondo blocking and striking techniques to real-life situations building self-esteem and sense of security.
- Olympic Style Sparring: Intermediate rank students will learn sparring rules, skills, and strategies of Taekwondo sparring while developing good sportsmanship, coordination, balance, self control, and self-reliance.
- Board Breaking: Students will learn to focus their minds and overcome fear to achieve feats of strength and build confidence.
- Physical Fitness: Through rigorous exercises using interval training students will see improvements in their endurance and strength as well as managing their weight.
- Flexibility Training: Students will practice stretching regularly for improved range of motion not only for higher kicks but for its physical and stress relieving benefits as well.
- Psycho-education & Mental Training: Students will learn about self talk, goal setting, and energy, stress and anger management in addition to other psychological issues and risk factors.
- Parent Coaching: Parents observing class will get parenting tips and learn how to manage or redirect unwanted child or adolescent behavior.
- Meditation: Students will learn and practice mindfulness meditation for its physical and psychological benefits, including stress, pain, and mood management.
- Body Awareness: Students will became aware of their bodily sensations and the difference between tension and relaxation, as well as, a better understanding of how stress can be stored in the body.
- Fun: Last, but not least, is fun! Students will laugh, smile, and have lots of fun while practicing Taekwondo. Humor has been shown to have physical benefits such as boosting our immune systems and energy and diminishing pain, in addition to improving mood and relieving stress.
Want to learn more? Register now!
Please complete our online registration to register for Taekwondo Wellness classes.